Blog Four: Medicine + Technology + Art

Medicine + Technology + Art
If you did not know, I am a student athlete here at UCLA. Specifically, I play football, which is considered the most dangerous collegiate sport (Thomas, J). There are injuries nearly every day, either at practice or a game due to the extreme physicality. The game of football has been pretty good to me, supplying me with a scholarship for school, but the physicality the game requires has done a decent amount of damage to my body. I have torn my medial meniscus, broken my right clavicle, as well as small tear in my right patellar tendon. Fortunately, due to the advances of the medicine and technology I find a way to get back to 100%, many before me were not as fortunate. But currently there is no more talked about or common injury than the concussion, concussions make up nearly 7.4% of all college football injuries (Football Injuries Data). There is even a movie featuring Will Smith called "Concussion" that was made to highlight the dangers of football as well as the importance of the well being of the brain (Jacobson/AP, J). I never knew the history of technologies such as x-ray's and MRI's, tools that helped me get to where I am today. But these MRI's and Cat scans didn't just appear out of no where, if it wasn't for the initial study of the human anatomy through human dissection back in the times of the  renaissance we couldn't be where we are today (Medicine pt1). Further down the line of time, the new invention of X-Rays were created by Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen in 1895 (medicine pt2). Next the invention of Magnetic Resonance Scanning was created by Raymond Vahan Damadian in 1969 (medicine pt2). Myself as well as thousands of other athletes have been fortunate enough to utilize these technologies in order to recover. These readings and lecture only further more add to my appreciation of the advancement of technologies in medicine as well as the search of knowledge when it comes to the human anatomy. 













References

U. (2012, April 21). Medicine pt1. Retrieved May 01, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0M2bOM9Tk&feature=youtu.be

U. (2012, April 21). Medicine pt2. Retrieved May 01, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psjnQarHOqQ&feature=youtu.be

Thomas, J. (2011, August 10). Frequency of Injury Among College Athletes. Retrieved May 01, 2017, from http://www.livestrong.com/article/513231-frequency-of-injury-among-college-athletes/

N. (n.d.). Football Injuries Data from 2004/05 and 2008/09. Retrieved from https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA_Football_Injury_WEB.pdf

Jacobson/AP, J. (2015, December 23). The NFL’s Reaction to the ‘Concussion’ film. Retrieved May 01, 2017, from http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/23/nfl-reaction-concussion-movie-will-smith-bennet-omalu

Comments

  1. Man this blog post was really interesting! Good job tracing back to the Renaissance times to explain how you're able to benefit from the technological resources we have today. It's interesting to know that we are in a world where we can recover so quickly from injury, however it took centuries to be able to get to this level of efficiency. I hope the best of luck in your football career and I pray you don't have any more detrimental injuries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog was awesome! I loved how you were able to tie personal experiences with this weeks topic. Crazy to think about how medical technology we take for granted today has been developed and can be traced back centuries. I have had a few concussions playing football myself, and have seen quite a few MRI's of my brain. They are strangely beautiful and to me signifies the link between art and tech.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Two: Math + Art

Blog Three: Robotics + Art